Corned beef is a traditional dish typically made from brisket or round roast that is brined and then cooked. However, traditional corned beef is not an option for those who follow a vegan diet. Fortunately, a vegan version of this beloved dish is just as delicious and much healthier. Vegan corned beef is made from seitan, which is a high-protein wheat gluten product that has a meat-like texture. In this article, we will show you how to make vegan corned beef and discuss the health benefits of this tasty and healthy lunch option.
Seitan, or wheat gluten, is a plant-based protein made from wheat flour. Making seitan involves washing wheat flour dough to remove the starch, leaving behind a protein-rich gluten. This gluten is then shaped and cooked to create a meat-like texture. Seitan is a great alternative to meat for vegans and vegetarians, as it is high in protein and has a similar texture to meat.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Combine the vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and black pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the vegetable broth, soy sauce, minced garlic, and liquid smoke in a separate mixing bowl.
- Add the wet and dry ingredients and mix until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes until it becomes firm and elastic.
- Shape the dough into a loaf and wrap it tightly with aluminum foil.
- Cover the wrapped loaf in a large pot with water.
- Bring the water to a boil and reduce the heat to low. Simmer the loaf for 1 hour.
- Remove the loaf from the pot and let it cool.
- Once the loaf has cooled, slice it to desired thickness and use it as traditional corned beef.
Health Benefits of Vegan Corned Beef
Not only is vegan corned beef delicious, but it also offers a host of health benefits. It is low in fat and cholesterol-free, making it an excellent option for those looking to improve their heart health. Additionally, seitan is a great source of protein, which is essential for building and repairing tissues in the body.
One of the main benefits of vegan corned beef is that it is much healthier than traditional corned beef. Traditional corned beef is high in saturated fat and cholesterol, which can contribute to heart disease. Vegan corned beef, on the other hand, is low in fat and cholesterol-free. Additionally, seitan is a source of protein, making vegan corned beef a great option for those who follow a plant-based diet.
Vegan corned beef is a delicious, healthy, and versatile recipe that is perfect for vegans and non-vegans alike. It’s easy to make at home, and it offers a host of health benefits. Give it a try and see why it’s becoming a popular alternative to traditional corned beef. 🙂