Dumplings are a beloved dish enjoyed by people worldwide. They come in many different shapes and sizes and can be filled with various savory or sweet ingredients. While traditional dumplings are often made with meat and/or dairy, it is now possible to enjoy this delicious dish in a vegan version.
Vegan dumplings are a plant-based twist on a classic dish that will satisfy even the most dedicated meat-eaters. Vegan dumplings are not only delicious but also a healthier option than traditional dumplings. They are free from animal products and packed with vegetables, making them an excellent option for those looking for a plant-based meal.
What You’ll Need:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of warm water
- 1 cup of finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup of finely chopped cabbage
- 1/2 cup of grated carrots
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped scallions
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of chili flakes (optional)
- Start by making the wrapper. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and warm water. Mix until the dough comes together. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes or until it becomes smooth and elastic. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and set it aside to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- While the dough is resting, prepare the filling. In a large skillet, heat a tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, cabbage, carrots, scallions, and garlic. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Once the dough has rested, divide it into small portions (about the size of a golf ball). Roll each portion out into a thin wrapper, about 3 inches in diameter. Place about a teaspoon of filling in the center of each wrapper.
- To fold the dumplings, bring the edges of the wrapper up to the center, forming a pleat. Pinch the edges together to seal the dumpling. Repeat until all the dumplings are filled and sealed.
- To cook the dumplings, you can either steam, boil, or pan-fry them. To steam, place the dumplings in a steamer basket over a pot of simmering water. Cover and steam for about 8-10 minutes. To boil, bring a pot of water to a boil and gently drop the dumplings into the water. Cook for about 8-10 minutes until they float to the surface. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat to pan-fry. Add the dumplings and cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- While the dumplings are cooking, prepare the dipping sauce. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and chili flakes (if using).
- Once the dumplings are cooked, remove them from the steamer or pot and place them in a serving dish. Serve with the dipping sauce on the side.
- Enjoy your delicious vegan dumplings!
These vegan dumplings are a delicious and satisfying plant-based alternative to traditional dumplings. The combination of cabbage, mushrooms, and carrots in the filling provides a nice balance of flavors and textures, while the garlic and scallions add a touch of aroma and spice. The dipping sauce, made with soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil, perfectly complements the dumplings, adding a tangy and savory touch. The recipe is simple to follow, and you can always play with the ingredients to suit your taste.
You can also try different fillings like sautéed mushrooms, garlic, scallions, or grated carrots, cabbage, and ginger. The options are endless, and you can experiment with different ingredients to find the perfect filling.
It is also a great idea to make a big batch of dumplings and freeze them for later. You can steam or pan-fry them straight from the freezer for a quick and easy meal. Whether you’re looking for a quick and easy meal or a fun and delicious appetizer, vegan dumplings are sure to please. So next time you’re craving dumplings, try this recipe; you will be surprised at how delicious vegan dumplings can be. Enjoy!