Are you a fan of sweet and tart flavors? Look no further than these delicious strawberry rhubarb bars! Perfect for any occasion, these bars are sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Combining fresh strawberries and tangy rhubarb creates a unique and irresistible taste that will leave your taste buds wanting more. The buttery crust adds a satisfying crunch to each bite, and the sweetness of the strawberries is perfectly balanced with the tanginess of the rhubarb. These bars are perfect for any season and for any food lover. They’re also perfect for a picnic or a road trip, as they are easy to pack and transport.
So, gather your ingredients, and let’s get baking! Once you try them, you’ll be hooked!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups diced rhubarb
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Add the butter and vanilla extract and mix the ingredients with a pastry cutter or your fingers until a crumbly dough forms. Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared baking pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- Combine the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, frequently stirring until the mixture thickens and the fruit is softened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven and spread the fruit mixture over the top. Whisk the egg, sugar, and vanilla extract in a small bowl. Pour the mixture over the fruit.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Let the bars cool completely before slicing and serving.
Variations and Tips
For a little extra sweetness, try drizzling melted chocolate over the cooled bars.
- If you prefer a more traditional crust, use a store-bought pie crust instead of making your own.
- For a fun twist, try using different types of berries, such as blueberries or raspberries, instead of some or all of the strawberries.
- These bars can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
These strawberry rhubarb bars perfectly blend sweet and tart flavors to delight your taste buds. The buttery crust adds a satisfying crunch to each bite, and the combination of fresh strawberries and tangy rhubarb creates a unique and irresistible taste. Whether hosting a party, bringing a dish to a potluck, or just looking for a tasty treat to enjoy at home, these bars are a perfect choice. So, gather your ingredients and try out this recipe today. You won’t be disappointed. Happy baking!